Self storage in New York is a great option for home staging when preparing to sell your home. Decluttering is rated as the most cost effective step a seller can take in order to get the highest price for the home.
Home staging, the art of preparing your home to be viewed by potential buyers, can benefit from personal storage especially in Manhattan, where apartments and homes can suffer from storage issues.
By investing just a few hundred dollars into cleaning and decluttering, you can expect your New York home to appeal to more buyers, make a quicker sale, and realize an increase of $1,500 to $2,000 in the asking price. You want potential buyers to envision themselves living in your home free of any organizational or storage issues so renting a self storage unit is a wise choice when staging a home.
By removing items that are personal in nature, take up too much space, or give the impression of lack of space, you can make your home and storage areas appear larger than they actually are and let potential buyers focus on your home’s selling points instead of how cramped it feels.
Self Storage Tips for Home Staging
- Store any big, bulky furniture into personal storage. Keep your rooms sparse to give a clean, uncluttered look and feel to the home. Sometimes this may mean storing half of the furniture in overcrowded rooms into self storage in New York. This tactic works very well if you find yourself between homes and will make packing and moving into your new place easier.
- Store and label personal items, such as family photographs, sentimental items, family heirlooms and knickknacks from shelves and carefully pack all breakables with bubble wrap and store in small boxes when renting self storage in New York.
- Pack and store all items from counters and tables and replace with fruit baskets or plants. Pack by room, and label each box with the name of the room and the contents; it will make unpacking quicker and easier.
- Remove all personal hygiene items from bathrooms and replace with soap baskets. Again, put heavy items in a smaller box and label clearly for personal storage.
- Get rid of items you don’t need or want any longer. It’s a good time for a garage or online sale, place an ad in the classified section of the newspaper, or to donate. Many donation companies will come to the home for free pickup.
- Many potential home buyers will ask to see the basement, attic, garage, and closets so it’s very important to keep these key areas free of clutter. The last thing you want is a closet-full of sports equipment and last season’s clothes falling onto potential home buyers’ heads.
So, what should homeowners do with unnecessary items that create clutter and give their home the best chance of selling quickly and for top dollar? Think of self storage in New York as your friend! Personal storage is the ideal place to temporarily keep unneeded items while your house is on the market. Once the house is sold, personal self storage can be a huge benefit when transitioning between your old and new home. With climate-controlled units available in a wide-range of storage sizes, sellers and real estate agents should turn to personal storage to eliminate home clutter and stay organized.
Interested? Contact Gotham Mini Storage for unit sizes and special deals.